Charles & Ray Eames, Eames Plastic Side Chair (1950)
The Eames Side Chair was designed by Charles and Ray Eames, an American couple of industrial designers who made significant historical contributions to the development of modern architecture and furniture. Eames combined the organically shaped seat shell, made from plastic or fiberglass, in a variety of colors and with metal, wooden or a rocker base. It was firstly produced by Zenith Plastics, afterwards by Herman Miller and later by Vitra.
The Eames Plastic chair has become one of the most desirable types of the dining chair series, to such an extent that today we could find numerous replicas, fakes and variations. This problem was present already in the 60’s – Charles Eames and Herman Miller in 1962 designed back cover of Arts and Architecture magazine with clear message: “Beware of imitations. Enjoy the comfort of the real thing”.